Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Many P's of Marketing: Perception

Marketing has gotten more and more nuanced, as new technologies and strategies have opened up many options for marketers.  It is my contention that today, the marketing mix contains much more than the traditional four or five P's that are taught in school.  In this series I am exploring the Many P's of Marketing.

As I explore the diversity of P's in Marketing, I felt it was worthwhile to explore a diversity of perspectives as well.  I have asked a handful of people I respect to select a P of Marketing and write about it.  Today's blog on Perception is guest written by Bridget McGuiggan, School Communications Professional.  Thank you Bridget!


Perception:  Yet another P to consider in the marketing mix is Perception. If people are truly part of the marketing mix, then their perception of products and services and the companies that provide them is equally essential to consider in modern marketing.

American business magnate Warren Buffet said “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” I agree with the sentiment entirely.

As an example, consider cyclist Lance Armstrong. Armstrong was considered (perceived as) one of sports’ greatest heroes - a cancer survivor, a phenomenal athlete, an inspiration to millions across the globe. News of his alleged doping broke, and his reputation was all but destroyed that quickly. Like golfer Tiger Woods and his alleged infidelity, the public didn’t need a press conference confirming the information before it was assumed true and shared as fact by those who heard only pieces.

As another example, consider BP Gasoline. When the oil spill occurred in the Gulf in 2011, countless customers pledged never to use the product again.

A third example, one from my own life, comes to mind – I was considering purchasing a new car a few months back. Before even starting the process, I ruled out a few car makers based on my own experience and that of my spouse. We vowed never to buy from a few particular companies again. I was left with five or six car makers to consider, one of which was Kia. I had heard at one time that Kia cars were poorly made and unreliable. Thinking back, I don’t remember if someone had shared that with me, or if I had perhaps read the criticism somewhere. Regardless, I was ready to rule out Kia completely on that basis – my perception that was based on nothing in particular, and certainly nothing recent. It wasn’t until I saw a friend’s Facebook post about her new Kia that I gave it a second thought; she was someone I’d consider practical and someone who had done the real homework I hadn’t yet begun. I decided to stop in a Kia dealership to learn about the SUV for myself. I spent time on reputable car review websites and read through articles on Consumer Reports. I learned that Kia went through a major change and its newer models were completely redesigned, with better parts and sleek designs that were garnering positive reviews everywhere I looked. Paired with competitive pricing and a strong warranty, Kia made it to the top of my list. When I do buy a new car, I have no doubt Kia will be a contender. And when I hear someone criticize Kia cars, I’ll think twice about the basis for their perception.

Thinking again of the comment from Warren Buffet, there is one other component to consider – people love a comeback. Whether it’s an athlete who may have chosen the wrong path or a company that may have caused a catastrophe, we’ll listen to the apology, especially if we perceive it as an honest one. We’ll listen to the way they are going to make it better, and we will watch to see if they follow through. And we may even start to root for them again and hope they can turn it around.

The idea of perception as reality is a notion any marketing professional should keep in mind. In an age when anyone can be a critic and share their review with the world, there is a higher hurdle to jump. The marketing has to overcome not only trusted family and friends who have their opinions, but also information and misinformation that travels at the speed of thought. Once perception is rooted, no matter how it started or how it’s been addressed once it’s out there, there is an exceptional challenge in creating a change. As Warren Buffet also said, “Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it, Bridget! "Perception is reality" is a the refrain that both haunts and gives hope to the marketing professional. Thank you for your contribution.

    ReplyDelete