Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Father Figure

My father celebrates the 41st Anniversary of his 39th Birthday today.  Happy Anniversary Dad!

It is natural on anniversaries to become a bit reflective.  I thought in honor of this day, I would share some of the things I learned from my father about leadership.

The lessons Dad taught me were taught by example.  I learned them by watching him.  I am not sure he knows that he was teaching all of this time...although I am pretty sure he will SAY he's known!

Leadership as experienced with my Dad:
  1. My Dad is very free with advice.  He gives it all of the time. Yet he never demands or expects that I take 100% of his advice. All he asks is that I listen and then decide, not the other way around.  A leader tries to help when he can, yet allows people to find their own way.
  2.  My Dad loves nothing more than a good debate.  Throughout my teenage years, we stayed close by arguing.  Both of us are usually willing to take any side of an argument, as long as it was opposite the position taken by the other.  I lost a lot of sleep during those late night debates, but gained valuable hours with my father.  I learned to love the art of a good argument, how to be a gracious winner and, occasionally, a good loser.  A leader doesn't shy away from a conversation, a discussion or an argument.
  3. One of my Dad's debate techniques, when he doesn't have or can't find facts, is to make his statements with a great conviction.  His conviction and certainty in what he is saying is enough to give an expert pause.  His enthusiasm for winning has showed me that leaders pull out all the stops to achieve their goals.
  4. Actually the one thing that Dad loves more than debating is his family.  And his friends.  And making new friends.  And meeting new people.  Dad is a people person.  Leaders get energy from the people around them.  They thrive on the power of interactions.
  5. Dad is thrilled when he can connect people with each other, especially if it helps them solve a problem. I am guessing that he has made a good share of his friends by sticking his nose into their problems and helping them out.  Leaders appreciate the people around them and figure out what they can do for others, not the other way around.
  6. My Dad has always been a salesman.  He has had many jobs, some which don't involve sales, but he has always been a salesman.  Leaders don't have jobs or careers, they have callings.
  7. My Dad is the only person I have ever heard of who takes coffee or lemonade out to the garbage men.  My dad never thought twice about it.  My Dad taught me that a leader is kind to people.  All of them.  But especially to the custodians, secretaries and garbage men in your life.  They literally and figuratively hold the keys to your life.  If you are getting along with them, things go smoother.  If you don't get along with them, your life can get stinky and disorganized quickly!
  8. If Dad chooses to work with someone, he is trusting to a fault.  I sometimes get frustrated by his blind trust in the goodness of people that he barely knows.  In the end, though, the few times he has been burned have been dwarfed by the friends he has made, the trust he has earned back and the stress and worry he has avoided.  True leadership is positive in focus and nature.  
  9. Even though he has had more than his share of ups and downs, my Dad almost always has a positive, can-do, make that will-do, attitude.  A recent accident had him in inpatient rehab, reportedly for up to four weeks.  He was out in less than two. A leader lets his attitude be an asset, not a roadblock.
  10. My Dad has the corniest sense of humor I have seen in anyone, except for maybe me.  A leader creates a legacy and passes it on to the next generation.
Happy Birthday Dad!  Thanks for the lessons!  I am looking forward to learning many more!  I love you!

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. i think that was a fabulous entry. I too remember those late nights. We really are blessed by an amazing father! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete