Friday, May 24, 2013

Pop-up Fatigue

Dozens of pop-up ads covering a desktop.
As I browse websites, I wonder if the companies sponsoring the intrusive, annoying pop-up ads think they are really helping their marketing efforts.

I suppose on one level, their market research shows that pop-up ads have a much higher recall with readers.  We recall the ads better because we spent so much time cursing them.

Research might also show a higher click through rate, which I suspect mostly consists of people mistakingly clicking into the ad while trying to find the increasingly tiny X that close the ads.

Technology provides us with an ever growing number of ways to get in front of customers.  I think it is incumbent on marketers that aggressive marketing doesn't cross the line into intrusive marketing.  It's a very thin line.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment