Friday, December 6, 2013

Empathy

I had the pleasure of being interviewed on the radio last night on Harvard Community Radio.  The show, The Creative Life with Erin Denk, is a show about creativity in all walks of life.

In our discussion, the host and I were talking about marketing, and what makes for good marketing.  "Empathy," I said tersely.  Terseness does not make for good radio.

Erin pushed back initially at my answer.  She has a therapy background and has a different view of empathy AND of marketing.

Empathy, I explained, is the ability to view things from another's perspective.  If marketing is primarily about developing and maintaining relationships (an assertion I had made earlier) then it makes sense that being able to view the product or service from the prospect's perspective will make for stronger marketing.  With empathy, you can make value propositions that address the needs and desires of the prospective customer.

Empathy, I would argue, is a more important skill than the ability to write, design, produce or edit.  Empathy is were all the great marketing messages start.

Can you see my perspective?      

The Creative Life with Erin Denk can be found on Harvard Community Radio at www.harvardcommunityradio.com or at AM1610 or 
on TuneIn Radio and serch for Harvard Community Radio.   
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is very interesting. Your level of thinking is good and the clarity of writing is excellent. Thanks for sharing with us.

    As one of the promising training institute of online seo course in India. we also provide courses like SEO, SMM, Google Ads, Facebook Ads etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! tech start-up names

    ReplyDelete