Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Lament of the Luddite: Frozen out by new technology

I consider myself technology friendly.  Really I do.  But I am also on a budget, so I don't have all of the latest electronic toys I would like to have.  I haven't really missed them, but in the last week a couple of things happened that made me wonder just how much of a Luddite I have become.

I was at a presentation at which the presenter gave QR codes as links to her presentation slides and tip sheets. Very cool and very of the moment.  However, for those few of us who have not joined the Smart Phone revolution (as I wrote about here) QR codes are just funny looking square patterns.  I could not link to her materials.

Shortly after that, I got this month's issue of FAST Company, a magazine that I highly recommend.  It is a fun, thought provoking publication and always has something in it that I can use at work (and in this blog!)  This month's issue of FAST Company had a cover sheet proudly proclaiming that I could now get the magazine on my tablet device.  Unlike smart phones, I have never even considered getting a tablet.  The promotion cited all of the additional content I could get on my nonexistent device.  Which made me wonder why I am being short-changed because I only experience the publication in its archaic paper format.

My point is that as companies rush to meet the surge of new ways we can access content and information, they should make sure to remember those of us who are a little slow on the uptake.  Don't let your loyal customers or subscribers be frozen out by new technology.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I love technology, and I do have a smart phone and iPad. I loved that our speaker used QR codes last week--we're using those in my district, too. And, we are developing a mobile app for our schools. As a school communicator, I recognize that we must keep a balance between electronic and print media as to not leave any of our stakeholders behind. But, we also need to reach our students/parents/
    teachers/community members, etc., via the devices they now use for accessing information. Earlier this week, as my Board of Ed was approving the contract for developing our mobile app, they voiced some of the same concerns you have noted. I shared with them an interesting fact released by Google via Ad Age: More people in the US have internet capable mobile devices than have desktop or laptop computers. Mobile is simply the way things are moving today. Sorry, Bill! :) But, you'll be happy to note that our district plans to ease into the transition to our mobile app, making info available in the old format as well . . . at least for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I know that the change is coming and am excited about it but I think that we have to remember that not everyone has a smart phone or internet access. Half of my school district, because it is so rural, can't even get high speed internet at their homes unless they pay for expensive satellite hookups individually. I just think that we have to remember that these are media choices, and despite the fact that they are growing fast and immensely popular, like any media, except possible direct mail and dialer services, we don't reach everyone.

    ReplyDelete