Wednesday, April 24, 2013

PowerPointless

English: Rajagopal speaking on October 2, 2007...Sooner or later you will be asked to make a presentation.

After you get past the night sweats and churning stomach, most likely your next step will be to turn to PowerPoint.

You will use PowerPoint to create an outline of your presentation.  Like most people, you might add some pictures, maybe a sound effect or clever animation, and consider yourself done.  You really haven't begun.

I believe that many would be wonderful presentations are ruined by over-reliance on the PowerPoint crutch. All the thought and care and creativity that should go into the words that the speaker says instead goes into the slides he is putting up on the giant screen.  Then, because the slides are so brilliant, the speaker turns to enjoy them along with the audience.

Speakers would be well served if they thought of PowerPoint as a highlighter rather than a pen.  The slides flashing up on that giant screen should have images and words that emphasize or focus attention on key ideas and themes.  There is no need for them to contain the speakers entire outline.

Of course PowerPoint isn't the only culprit.  There are also a growing number of speakers who have turned to other presentation options.  While these might add some different features, I have not heard of any that help you make your presentation more audience focused.  Presentation software is designed to make things easier for the speaker...not the audience.  The presentation companies are in business to get you to upgrade from the free version to the pro version.  The last thing they want you to do is turn your back on the slides and focus on the audience!

I am intrigued by the PechaKucha formatof presentations.  In this format, which started in Japan, speakers get 20 slides which are shown for 20 seconds each.  Speakers do not have control over when slides change.  Speakers who are successful in PechaKucha let go of trying to time their comments to slides.  They have 6 minutes and 40 seconds to tell their story.  Obviously, this is not a format that works for every presentation, but it seems to me the slides have the proper prominence compared to the words spoken.

When I have a presentation to make, I still turn to PowerPoint to help me rough out an outline for the presentation.  I find that the format allows me to easily summarize my main points and then organize them in a coherent order (or at least that is the goal!) Once I have the outline done, though, I scrap that PowerPoint and start a new one.  No more than one image, word or phrase per slide.  Occasionally, I will allow myself to add a quote.  But I do not read the quote or make mention of the images on the slides.  I treat them almost like footnotes...additional information that adds to my comments but hopefully doesn't distract.  I am trying to get brave enough to do a PowerPointless presentation.

Regardless of the strategy you use, it is important to remember that the best presentations should be conversations with the audience.  Make sure you are speaking with your audience, not your slides.  Make sure you are using the audience as the guiding force of what you say and how you deliver it, not PowerPoint.  PowerPoint or any of the countless presentations support options are wonderful tools that can enhance and add some visuals to your presentation.  Just make sure your slides don't take over everyone's attention, including yours!

The strongest personality in your presentation should be YOU, not your slides!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. What great advice. Thanks Bill! This is sincerely very helpful. I love the idea that a little structure inspires connection and creativity. A very nice balance.

    By the way, I'm thinking of radio again. This time, if finding complementary healers to interview on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete