Monday, September 23, 2013

Why?

Last Friday, I published my 200th post to this blog.  When I hit 100 posts last December, I vowed to myself, and publicly to all of you, that I would get the second hundred posts written and published within a year.  I kept my promise.
Writing

I get asked from time to time, why I spend the time and effort writing this blog.  I mostly get asked that question by my Dad.  "What do YOU get out of it," he asks when the topic comes up.

There are many reasons, all simple AND complicated, that I write this blog.  One of those reasons is that it gives me a chance to write.  On topics of my choosing.  In a format of my choosing.  According to a schedule of my choosing.  Have you noticed a pattern?

I also write this blog because it gets me reading all of those books and magazines I keep meaning to read.  I need to read to get ideas, keep current on marketing and communications issues and find good stories to share with you.  I need to read so that all of my blog rantings aren't based just on lessons I learned in college way back in the 70s and 80s.

I write this blog because it is one of the ways that I exercise that creative muscle that I talked about on Friday (see here).  Trying to write interesting, somewhat original blogs three times a week takes some time and practice.  But I find that the more I do it, the easier it is and the better I am.  At least that's what I tell myself!

I blog in the hope of finding an audience.  Nothing thrills me more than getting a comment from someone who wants to explore a point I made in a blog.  Nothing surprises me quite so much as when someone out of the blue makes such a comment.  Every writer wonders if there is an audience for what they scribble.  I occassionally get an indication that there is.

I write this blog because it is fun.  I enjoy writing and being able to tell stories and share ideas.  I enjoy working on ways to enhance the look and appeal of this blog.  I enjoy trying strategies to find new audiences.

But to me, probably the most important reason I write this blog is it is a way that I can give back. Perhaps it is the latent teacher in me, but I feel a need to share all of these life lessons learned and stories I've heard or read.  I feel driven to try to stimulate some thinking about marketing and communication, business and social responsibilty with whomever wanders by.

I feel drawn to teaching, and this is my classroom.
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog....keep them rolling out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this blog! Your writing is not solitary; it is engagement. I feel like we've had the opportunity to have that quick conversation about anything and everything. And you write well! Your blog also stands alone. I do not read, faithfully, just because I enjoy you. Although I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! Engagement is one of the things I hope for when I send these little missives out into the interwebs!

      Delete